Curves has reintroduced the circuit training workout which was big for a while in the 90’s. It’s basically 30 minutes of non-stop exercises including weight and aerobic stations. No co-ordination needed, you work at your own pace and ability and you get your firming weight workout at the same time as your cardio-fatburning workout. It has always been my favourite workout for personal fitness because it’s so time effective.
So here’s one you can do at home the only trick is you really need to commit yourself and don’t slack off after 10 minutes.
Before You start:
1. Put on some really good fast music to keep you going
2. Get a clock or timer ready so you can do each station for 30 seconds, as hard as you can!
3. It always help to have a friend join you, My little cheersquad sometimes joins me on the hills at our park a gives me his own list of exercises to add to the workout.
READY, SET, GO!!!
*Warmup – walk around the block -FAST
* Step up and down on a step at home.
* Pushups – on your knees or feet if you can.
* Starjumps (or side steps if you can’t manage jumping)
* Abdominal Curls ( They’re the little situps 1/2 way)
* Really fast walking around your house or yard, or run if you can.
* Shoulder Press -Grab 2 cans from the pantry and raise them straight up and down from your shoulders to the roof.
* Step up and down on the step again
* Lunges – take a big step forward, bend the back knee, bringing the back knee down to the floor and back up (or if you have bad knees, as low as your knee will let you before it starts to hurt) step back together, then do the other leg.
* Squat and jump – Feet apart, squat down as if sitting on a small chair, then push up fast through your legs to jump high and reach for the roof.( They’re hard but worth the effort)
*Tricep Dips – sit on the edge of a chair, hands holding the edge of the seat, take your bottom off the chair, bend your elbows dipping your bottom down toward the floor, then straighten elbows. Keep your bottom off the chair the whole time.
*Repeat the whole thing for at least 25 minutes.
When you are finished be sure to walk around slowly and do a few stretches to cooldown your body before you sitdown. I’ll add a range of stretches you can follow, next time.
Give it a go. Let me know how you go.
About Mama Maroula-Words & Washing Author April 21, 2009
‘Mama Maroula’ is a friend, a mum from my childrens school. She constantly surprises me with her dry wit and quiet disposition. Maroula has always loved to write. Her little notebook is always tucked in her bag ready for shopping lists, phone numbers and impromptu thoughts she might want to write about later. So, please enjoy some of the moments caught on paper by ‘Mama Maroula’.
School Holidays over
Back in uniform
They have left our abode
Back to our to do lists
Like our waists, overflowing.
Chin up, we grab both
We get on with it
Our empty bins off the kerb
Chores are quietly,
So when you pass her
Pushing the trolley, fast.
Standing in your queue
Acknowledge that her clock
is ticking, to the sound
of the school timetable
School holidays are over
She’s back to the clock
The School Mum,
ticking her list
as you read this. ……. Mama Maroula
ONE WEEK TO GO April 13, 2009
OK. I have spent a day swinging between ‘blissfully happy mother of angels’ and ‘uptight nagging mum of hyper-boys’.
So I’ve come to my own blog, read my own bibs & bobs about motherhood, and (after aglass of wine) have regathered myself. I’m ready for tomorrows assault of the senses – and only 6 days to go -….School Holidays , GOOD. School Holidays – GOOD.
School Holidays-Good or Evil? April 5, 2009
Most mums I meet are dreading the approach of the school holidays. It’s a change in our routine. It’s more mess around the house, everyday, allday! The kids are looking for something to do, something to eat, something to complain about, SOMETHING TO BREAK!
But I have one friend (let’s call her Jenny) who actually looks forward to school holidays. She craves for that 2 weeks of bliss when her kids are all hers. On the last day of school term, while parents are picking up the children from school with a quiet lack of enthusiasm, Jenny has a spring in her step and a smile on her face as her 4 angels head for home.
No, Jenny’s children are not perfect. No, she doesn’t have Mary Poppins for a nanny. I think she just has a different outlook on her childrens place in her life. While some of us battle in our mind between doing a load of washing, vacuuming, catching up on some work or playing with kids, – Jenny is on the floor joining in the kids game. (With no feeling of guilt over the dirty floor).
So why are the school holidays GOOD for some of us and EVIL for others?
I suppose like everything in our lives, It’s what you make of it. How you look at it. Jenny still has her stressed moments in the day just like me, her children push her to the edge and back again just like me, but time is fleeting …………………and I don’t want to miss a moment of my angels innocence. I just have to keep reminding myself that the cobwebs can wait until highschool (when they wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with Mum) and keep telling myself………
“SCHOOL HOLIDAYS – GOOD”